CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, November 1, 2007

WTF Immortal Technique?!?!




So listen to the song, read the lyrics. Did he just admit to being a rapist?!?!?!?!


Alright. I tried to mantain solidarity with the guy because he's rad and an amazing rapper, has great politics, and is Peruvian like me, came to the US because of civil unrest going on in Peru, just like me.
Also cause he gets such amazing shit done, is real talented, and an asset to the movement and left in general.
This is all DESPITE sexist homophobic lyrics.

But dude, rape?
No, not cool. And I can't excuse that no matter how sorry you are or how you frame it in your song as a shitty thing to do. See, I'm torn up about this because part of me is like "well it's in his past, and he's not a rapist now, and realiuzes the error of his ways..."
And I'm all about fucking over the Prison Industrial Complex and actually deconstructing internalized isms within people and you know, uniting our community and shit. I was totally blown away by Moe telling me of that program that simultaneously therapy-fied sex offenders and sexual assault survivors.


But rape is the most violent crime against humanity, which has systematically been used against women since civilization started.
It is so inherently misogynist, (nevermind sexist!) that you cant just forgive forget and move on.
as a woman i can't see myself forgiving that. you know?

but i feel at the same time it goes against my belief in the ineffectiveness of the PIC and giving rehabilitated people chances.

0 comments: