CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, August 3, 2007

Moving Away

It's official I'm leaving for Galesburg, Illinois in 25 days. Iwill be a train ride away from Chicago. Meeting new people, making new connections, networking, traveling, learning, living on my own.
Finding new communities.
I can't wait. I will be going to Knox College, this itty bitty liberal arts college that has a radical contingent of students, fair trade vegan options, lots of queer wimmin, and a beautiful campus.

My college experience in general has been wacky.
I first went to Earlham College in Richmond Indiana. which was due to a free ride. I got there and it had gloomy gray skies and humidity that made my face break out into monstrous zits. This, my friends, was a sign I didn't belong there.
It was like being in the twilight zone. I felt like Wednesday Addams when she goes to camp and everyone is singing Kumbayas. Lots of liberals, no radicals. Lack of queer presence, diverse but segregated.
And every one of the liberal upper class white students reached peace and non-violence for all, blind to the possibility that peace isn't always an option (I'd like to see yr non-violent priveleged ass in the hood for example) . So I hated it.
That and indie hipsters annoy me and they grew from trees there.
So i dropped out and everyone raised hell over it.
Next I went to Queens Collelge which honestly wasn't too bad at all. Itwas diverse, there was an SDS and had for the most part a great faculty.
Through Queens I had the privelge of being a subway ride away from the city, so I got to meet really rad people who I will never forget. Some of these rad people have traveled a lot and have lived in the boonies and through thos experiecnes have networked and changed their life.
So I started rethinking being a die hard New Yorker ("I'ma never leave New York!") and looked around to see the fact that people are traveling and everyone is leaving new york. Shit's changed a lot around here. and I think leaving wouldn't be bad at all. Not forever. But to experience something outside of New York. and I need to not live with my mom anymore. I lvoe her to death. But she's always gonna be a mama. And I'm too grown right now to have my mama living with me without suffocating a bit. There's just not enough room.


And now I'm at Knox.
It will be my second semester of College and I have already been to three schools. Oh dear.

0 comments: